Monday, June 17, 2013

A Surplus of Cherries

The days go by and I pick cherries twice a day, but still there are cherries on the tree, although now more of them are at the top, where it is harder to reach. So today I had to get the old pool ladder for my cherry picking.


Perched atop the pool ladder, I can reach the very highest cherries.




I wash them and put them in the refrigerator, but not everybody at my place is as excited about having cherries for dessert as they were the first couple of days. So what do you do when people are tired of cherries? I asked my Facebook friends and got these suggestions:

  • hide them in ice cream or make sorbet
  • bake a cherry cheesecake or a cherry pie
  • can them
  • pit and freeze them
But today I happened to have a jello mix on hand, so I hid them in jello in tiny plastic shot glasses.




The teen among us thought that was kind of weird, but Bow had a great time trying to figure out how to eat it.


6 comments:

  1. That is actually a fun idea. Also, maybe you could make a marinade out of cherries for a roast of an exotic chicken dish. I am sure there is something you could find for inspirations on that site All Recipes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Julia. That's an interesting idea about the marinade. I like my roast chicken pretty plain, but certain other people here might really enjoy the change!

      Delete
  2. That's so cool that Bow gave you the pit and held onto the stem :) I guess he's had cherries before.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Susan. Yes, Bow has had cherries many times before. He knows I don't want him to swallow the pits, and lately he's been very cooperative about that.

      Delete
  3. What you could also do with the cherries is put them in a blender to either make smoothies or make a base for a sweet syrup to put on chocolate cakes or something! Cherries are very versatile :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Keith, for the suggestion. It sounds delicious!

      Delete