Saturday, November 2, 2013

The Persimmon

I recently had a path mowed through my pasture so I could go walking there. Around Halloween, I noticed a spooky tree with strange orange fruit on it. What made it spooky was that there was only fruit, but no leaves. Last night, the day after Halloween, I took more notice of the tree.


When I looked at the fruit more closely, it seemed oddly familiar. It was something I had seen before, and I could already taste it just by looking. Yet its name was on the tip of my tongue.


As I often do these days to identify flora and fauna, I posted the pictures on Facebook. The answer came back loud and clear from all quarters: persimmon.

Today, I went and gathered the fruit. I washed it, and I presented a sample to Bow.


Bow was curious and willing to try it, but in the end, he did not seem to like it well enough to finish.



Maybe this evening we will try again.

2 comments:

  1. I would love to have a persimmon tree in my backyard. These are great in cookie recipes, and very little sugar is needed because the persimmons are so sweet to begin with.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are very sweet, There is a slight aftertaste, though, and I think that is what Bow objected to.

      Delete