Saturday, September 7, 2013

Poppy Seed Cake -- Not from Scratch

My mother is the one who knows how to bake a real poppy seed cake from scratch. But I can do a nice impersonation, using off the shelf ingredients.



I take a regular pound cake mix and follow all the directions on the box, except that I also throw in a can of poppy seed filling. After I am done mixing everything, this is what the batter looks like.



Once the cake is in the oven, Bow gets to lick the bowl:


When the cake is ready, it looks a little like this,


It is hard to say what Bow enjoys better, eating the cake or licking the bowl!



2 comments:

  1. My mom used to make poppy seed cake sometimes, and there was also a good kind sold at the local bakery. I think your cake looks good, and baking it with a boxed mix is fresher and taster than a cake that sits on the shelf for days waiting for someone to buy it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Julia. I bet your mom's cake was wonderful, just like my mother's. My cake is a pretty good second, though, and it does get eaten while fresh. It is all gone now! And my finicky one even asked for seconds. So I call that success!

      Delete